Friday, September 26, 2008

Roadkill #2...... that wasn't!! And the one that was!

A couple of incidents that Ros and I witnessed last night and I wanted to get them down in print. I did the blog yesterday late afternoon and at that time I was serious about getting back on the road and shortening my journey to Nakhon Sawan today. However, Ros got chatting to some people who had also decided to take a break at the service station and before I knew it, it was gone 6 and food was becoming more important than trying to get my now stiff ankles to do some more work. The place we were at was being refurbished and it didn't even have a shop let alone a restaurant so we had to have to look around for somewhere to get dinner. The staff suggested a place 'not far' back down in the direction we'd come from earlier in the afternoon and off we set on foot. We'd gone about 500 meters down the road and crossed the highway to walk along the hard shoulder of the south-bound lanes. I looked down the road and noticed something in the middle lane of the highway and, as I got closer, I could see that it was quite a large dog.

The traffic was quite heavy and we could see drivers steering their vehicle around what we assumed was the carcass of a life-expired canine. Two vehicles actually ran 'over' it but did not actually appear to make any contact with it. Within seconds of the second vehicle doing so, something quite unbelievable happened. The dog got to its feet and ambled over to the side of the road we were walking along and disappeared into the long grass there. I actually stopped walking. I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed! Wanting to make sure that we really had seen what we thought we'd seen, we started walking towards where it had disappeared from sight. We were a bit wary of what condition the dog might actually be in so we approached it with some caution. But it was there, lying on all fours in the long grass with its head facing the highway. Ros, who was able to get a better look at it than I was, said that there was blood on its head so we have to assume that it had suffered concussion when it was hit and that's why it was lying motionless in the middle of the road. There was nothing we could do for it really but had we been local we'd have been quite happy to try and get it fixed up, if we could have gotten near it. It certainly had its fair share of luck last night though!

Unfortunately, the crab that Ros spotted further down the same stretch of road didn't. She pointed out it to me as it crossed our path and I thought it strange that a crab, and it was quite large, should be walking across the hard shoulder of a motorway and no water in sight. Now, Ros actually stopped and made a move towards it as it started to cross the first lane. Apparently, and this what she told me later, she was worried about what might happen to it and it was her intention to pick it up and put it somewhere away from the road. There were a number of vehicles coming towards us and so she waited for them to pass. Unfortunately, for our fearless crustacean, one of the said vehicles drove straight over the back of it and Ros' good intentions proved to be of no avail. I'd never seen a crab's inners spread over such a wide area before but the look on Ros' face was priceless! When we evenually got to the restaurant for dinner, I did ask if they had crab on the menu but, unfortunately, they didn't.

1 comment:

EleAid said...

Hi Glenn
Glad everything seems to be going well although I bet you are stiff!
Sorry you won't be here for my stag night next Saturday but I have got some good news. The Chiang Mai ToyRide this year would like to invite all your kids to the event. There will be games and of course toys for all of them. The ToyRide will also pay for the transport and a meal for them all so its got to be a winner.
We'll sort out the details when you get back and I get the wedding out of the way.
All the best
Chas