Friday, September 12, 2008

Arrival in Saraburi and thoughts on the trip so far.

Completed the leg from Wihan Daeng to Saraburi earlier this afternoon and can now look forward to the trip to Korat in a short while. Paul asked me yesterday on the phone whether I was happy with the progress made to date and on reflection, I have to be. We've covered around 270 km in 9 days, an average of 30 km a day, which puts us about half a day's walk behind schedule but I'm happy overall with that. I overcooked things on the first day down to Banchang when the adrenalin was flowing and paid for it on days two and three when it was also extremely humid. The blisters, all 12 of them, have also played a part in our lack of progress on some days, as has the rain. But we've kept going and, where I've had to put a few 5 km an hour spells together to keep the pace up, I've managed to. I also know that I can do it again if I have to but how long I could sustain it for I don't know. Ros has now got the distancing between herself in the support vehicle and myself about right and if the weather turns ugly quickly, she's there to collect me. Tomorrow will be our first rest day and a chance to clean the car out and stock up on supplies like medical kit. I'm looking forward to a hot shower tonight and a few beers to follow with a lie-in and a big full English breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: