Friday, September 26, 2008

The long and not-so-winding road.

It's the 22nd day of our long and, hopefully, fruitfull journey back to the Foundation in Lamphun. As I write this, we are in the forecourt of yet another service station about 24 km south of Nakhon Sawan. I will do another hour or so this evening and the rest tomorrow morning. Sunday will be another rest day though I don't have anything in particular that I want to see there. We stopped off there for a night on our way down to Banglamung and while I was sleeping like a baby, Ros had a run-in with someone from the 'spirit world' apparently so she's keen to find some alternative accomodation this time.



Since we left Singburi on Wednesday morning, it's been pretty much a case of putting one foot in front of the other and trying to enjoy the view on my left as I clock up the milage. The sun has managed to break out from behind the clouds from time to time though it's been fairly overcast, if not warm, today. Traffic's often been heavy as you'd imagine, it being the main road to the north from Bangkok, yet sometimes there's been a silence that's quite eerie. It doesn't last that long but you do get breaks in the traffic and you notice them. And, from time to time, the view has been pretty impressive with miles and miles of rice fields and the odd temple thrown in. With time on your side, you notice all the different shades of green, brown and even yellow that there are out there. Never given it much thought before but we're usually flying along at whatever speed we're doing and not taking it all in. You notice the birds as well, particularly the larger ones such as the white herons. On the downside, and I've mentioned this before I know, but there's so much rubbish left on the side of the road. I don't understand why people throw stuff out of car windows like they obviously do. Having said that, Ros told me this morning that she woke up last night in the tent and noticed one of the truck drivers sitting on the grass near our car eating noodles. This morning, he'd gone but all the rubbish including a load of noodles he hadn't finished was still there and there was a bin not ten meters away from where he had been sitting!



This morning got off to a great start as I was preparing the coffee in the back of the car. I heard someone say "Khun Glenn." Now, Ros has lots of things she likes to call me but unless she's talking about me in the third person to someone either important or who she doesn't know very well, that's not one of them. So I had a look out the back of the car and there's a Thai guy standing there. "Khun Glenn?" I noticed that he had a 500 baht note in one hand so I said "Yes, that's me." He then went into one in Thai and thankfully Ros showed up and bailed me out. Anyway, he donated the money to the roadside donations fund, which now stands at 660 baht, and wished us all the best for the remainder of the walk. Looking ahead, I'm looking at an alternative route from Nakhon Sawan to Kampaeng Phet so that I don't have to spend all my time on the highway, though it might actually be a tad longer. I will have to use the highway eventually to get to Tak and then up to Lampang, but if there are alternatives available, I'll look at them too. I understand that there's been a fair bit of flooding over in the north-west and hopefully that will have been sorted out by the time we get there. I'll keep you posted.

If you have any comments about the site, please feel free to get in touch at g_croston@yahoo.com. Please click HERE to go to the official Croston House Children's Home website. Click HERE to go to my personal web site.Phone (66) 086-3857118.Or leave a comment here.
Check out some more sites that are following us

No comments: