Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all!!

Wednesday, 22 October: So we've been back home here at the Foundation since last Friday afternoon and I've spent the last five nights in my own bed catching up on some of the z's I missed out on over the previous 6 weeks on the road. Actually, that's not true as I spent one night on one of the spare bunks as Ros had half a dozen of the younger kids crashed out in the bedroom with her when I got back from Chiang Mai on Sunday night and there was no room for me! I've slept like a baby most nights, with or without the Chang, but with all the kids being off school at the moment, it's been a tad noisy in the mornings and only threats of extreme violence seems to work when it comes to ensuring that Paw gets that extra hour or two of shuteye early doors. Ros, who's also now recovered somewhat, and I have been out and about since we got back and obviously people, both Thais and expats, want to know about how we got on (or, from time to time, how we didn't get on!) during the journey. In all honesty, I really don't know what I would say to someone who had just finished walking over a thousand kilometers in a little over a month but I know for a fact that I wouldn't say anything like "I bet your feet hurt!"

Was thinking the other day that I haven't mentioned on the blog some of the people who helped to make the whole thing possible. So, in an Oscar-winning speech stylee, here goes; Obviously, we couldn't have left the kids on their own for 7 weeks and Yai and Da did a stirling job trying to keep a lid on things in our absence. Yes, we know that there were some problems and we'll be addressing some of them over the next couple of weeks before the new term starts but they did their best and Yai made sure that the bruises she left wouldn't show. Joke!! Also Ann and Denis and Mark and Jenny in Chiang Mai made regular visits and spent some considerable time at the Foundation when they did so to ensure that all was well and kept me in the picture either by e-mail or via the mobile. That was much appreciated and I'll try and find a way to repay them for their commitment before too long. I must admit that I was a bit concerned when Jenny said that she wanted to take a couple of the kids home for a few nights but she obviously chose them carefully and nothing untoward took place and they still have a lovely home! The people that organised and attended the charity nights before, during and after the walk also deserve a mention for making the evenings extremely enjoyable as well as being successful in the main in terms of raising extra funds. Certificates of appreciation are being sorted. And all the good people who we met on the journey who gave me water, food, made donations or simply wished us the best of luck with our endeavours should be mentioned. It was nice meeting them all and maybe just one or two will visit us here in Lamphun if they're passing through.

As for my hairdresser (nice lady in Soi Honey, Pattaya), clothes designer (Beefy, in Pattaya; your shirts could become collector's items, mate. Want one signed?), footwear provider (German Sport & Lifestyle, Naklua: much appreciated, gents), my Mum (sorry I haven't called for a while), the staff and students from The Regents and St. Andrews who joined me on the first leg from Banglamung to Banchang and raised so much money, Dave Higgin in the UK for sending me the Camelbak (great piece of kit), Grant Elliot in Chiang Mai for updating the blog with photos and captions and the Foundation's main website and last, but definately not least, the majority of the kids at Croston House Children's Home for doing what they were told when they were told and not making life difficult for people while we were away. Sorry if I've forgotten anyone but it's quite late and I'm ready for my bed. Thank you all; couldn't have done it without you.

No comments: