Monday, October 6, 2008

Sitting out the rain.

It's nearly 9.30 now and it's been raining here in Baan Tak since around 6 this morning. Frustrating to put it mildly but now that I'm down to just the one pair of trainers, I can't afford to get them soaked as it may take a while to dry them out and we'll lose even more time so we're going to have sit it out until it lightens up, whenever that may be. We've been drawing up contingency plans in case things become drawn out over the next week or so what with the weather, my ankles and the route. There is only one way to get to where we need to get to and part of it is not very 'walker friendly'. In the worst-case scenario, we could drop the leg to Chiang Mai. It is, after all, our aim to get back to the Foundation in Lamphun, which we'll pass en route to Chiang Mai if we stick with the original plan. We're going to play it by ear for the time being, though.

Yesterday was tough going; parts of the road once you get out of Tak city limits are built on a slope and I was therefore walking at an angle that put more pressure on my ankles. You wouldn't even notice it in a vehicle but you certainly do when you're walking! The terrain is similiar to that between Korat and Saraburi, one long climb after another with some fairly flat stretches in between. I've been saying all along that this would be the toughest part of the route as I've driven it many times and it's going to be extremely challenging. Although doing 30 km a day is my objective, as it has been from day 1, that may prove to be too much of an ask on parts of this leg and we do therefore need to have a Plan B. I took some more of those pills this morning and the swelling has gone down though my ankles are stiff at the moment. Once I get started, I hope that'll wear off but for the time being, I'm not going anywhere!

No comments: