Sunday, October 12, 2008

Landed in Lampang; last chance for some time out!

Sunday, 12 October: The penultimate leg of the sponsored walk is now behind us and we are now in Lampang and I'm looking forward to that night in a proper bed in an air-conditioned room and a lie-in in the morning that I've been thinking about for the last couple of days. Tomorrow will be our final rest day as I need to get some things sorted out at a bank and the time off will stand me in good stead I'm sure when I have to take on the hills at Kuntang later in the week. Although the 75 km we still have do seems like nothing compared to what we've done over the last 5 weeks or so, there are still 3 day's worth of hard walking to do and we both need to stay focussed on what we're doing as Khuntan is a notoriously dangerous stretch of road and it's the only way to get to Lamphun and beyond. My ankles are now looking and feeling OK, though I was more than a little concerned in that department early yesterday. Ros has also been under the weather these last couple of days and is also looking forward to a break from being on the road. She managed to get to a clinic yesterday and was told her blood pressure is high due to the lack of sleep she's had of late, or should I say, quality sleep. It could also be because she's had to put up with me on her own for the last 6 weeks but I'd like to think that it's not been that bad! I'm considering booking myself into a private room at Baan Thi hospital for a few days when I get back so that I'll be able to catch up on some of the sleep I've missed out on over the last 6 weeks. Fat chance things will improve when we get back to the Foundation, what with all the kids being off school at the moment.



All the bedding needs airing too tomorrow as it really does smell and despite what Ros will say, it's not all down to me. Although most of it has been washed a couple of times like the towels we've been using it's never really been dried out properly but, with less than a week to go, I'm sure we can put up with it for the remainder of the trip. Ros has always got the option of sleeping in the front of the car where as I haven't; it's either in the back of the car or in the tent with the smelly mattress and both pillows! We have decided that the walk will definately end this coming Friday afternoon with a walk from Northern Region Industrial Estate to the Foundation with all the kids in tow. We've asked Yai to start preparing things for a small home-coming party and I need to get some money to her during the week so that she can organise that for us. Going back on Friday will also allow us to get money out for the shopping for next week as I banked all the money we received from the charity nights in Pattaya, Banchang and Korat. I couldn't see any point in going on to Chiang Mai and back when there are things that need sorting out at the home. Although I'm aware that Yai and Da have done an admirable job in our absence, there are some issues that need addressing and the sooner we do that, the better for all concerned. Anyway, that's for next weekend, time to get aquainted with some bedding that doesn't smell!!

No comments: